2015 news : Jeremy and ZiJun

Link for news : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapores-founding-father-mr-lee-kuan-yew-dies-aged-91-at-318am-on-monday

Summary:
The death of Mr Lee Kuan Yew has saddened many, including his son which is the prime minister, Mr Lee Hsien Long. Many actions are taken to honor his passing such as the 7-day mourning period and the flag needs to be at half-mast.

Opinion:
In merely fifty years, Mr Lee Kuan Yew demonstrated his prowess by changing Singapore from a third world country to a first world country, an impressive feat few would have achieved. I ask myself, why was Mr Lee such an outstanding leader? I watched videos of him making speeches and I soon knew the answer. Mr Lee did what he felt was the best for the country, despite people disagreeing with him. He was resolute and never gave up in times of adversity. He stood firmly with his beliefs and never once backed down. Mr Lee loved Singapore and was determined to make it into a metropolis we live in today. He once quoted,"I'm very determined. If I decide that something is worth doing, then I will put my heart and soul into it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." He made laws that many detested but still he went on with it. I feel that we should learn from Mr Lee. We should never back down to someone when we know what we are doing is for the good of the community. When we encounter problems,we must not run away from it as ultimately it will come back to haunt you. I am sure we will all miss Mr Lee but we must not be simply sitting around. We must continue Mr Lee's legacy and make Singapore flourish even more.

No comments: